Recruitment and Selection Policy
The main objective of this policy is to ensure an effective and efficient recruitment and selection process focusing on fairness, equality and diversity. (Standard contract of employment, 2009)
Recruitment and selection approach
For the best performance of an organization it is crucial to have the right person at the right time doing the right job. Our company is dedicated in making sure that all processes of recruiting and selection criteria are performed effectively and fairly. The human resources manager and the line mangers are involved in the process so as to ensure that the policy is pursued correctly. Methods of selection to be used will be objective, reliable and without preconceived notion. This process will comprise of successful short listed candidates who will be later invited for an interview. We offer feed back to unsuccessful applicants as part of our customer service commitment.
Determining a vacant post
The line manager will be responsible for determining whether or not to fill a vacant post. The managing director will have the ultimate endorsement.
Candidate specification ad Job description
A detailed specification, stipulating the experience, qualifications, abilities and skills required by each candidate will be set out. The Job description will be devised by the line manager and the director of personnel will ratify the document.
The remuneration package will be determined by the board of directors in accordance to the Government policies.
The appropriate application form must be filled by all applicants seeking position in the company.
An advert will be placed on the company’s website, on the local press and air on the local radio station. All these adverts will be ratified by the human resource manger to ensure that its effective and at a minimum expenditure.
Once the interested applicants send their enquires either by Email or by letter a response will be sent within 2 days and only short listed candidates will be welcomed for an interview. The candidates will be required to carry along copies of their testimonial, I.D and passport sizes. Selection criteria will be determined by the best fit applicant.
The board of directors will be responsible for setting up a interview panel. The panel members are supposed to come up with a structure on how top conduct the interview. The chair person will make the final decision basing on the views of the rest of the panel members. Subsequent to the interview, successful candidates will be notified on the recommend to the appointment. (Robert, page 140)
(This document is supposed to ensure that the employees recruited and selected to work for the company are best fit and should perform effectively to improve the required the production)
Standard Contract of Employment
(Fill in the blank spaces of the contact where possible)
I.D Number: __________________________________
Address: _______________________________Position: _______________________
In accordance to the regulations and conditions of employment stipulated below I therefore agree to fulfill them to the best of my knowledge. I agree to adhere to the company’s conditions of employment and fully understand the consequences of failure to do so. (Chander, 1993)
- Working hours shall be from …………am to…………pm. Otherwise a total number of…………hours per week. This is in compliance to the company’s working time act 2006.
- Duties assigned shall be performed without fail and incase of any assistance an employee shall report to the immediate authority.
- Each employee is entitled to a paid annual leave of thirty working days in addition to public holidays.
- In case of illness, the manager must be notified so as to permit the victim an off(s).An extend of more that four days, provision of a medical certificate shall be required.
- In the case of any legitimate grievances, the company will fairly and expeditiously solve the problem.
- If an employee breaches any of the laid down company rules, he/she might face a dismissal. However the board of directors will look keenly on the matter before making a ruling.
- A letter of memorandum will be issued just in case there is an alteration in the terms of employment affecting the staff members.
- The annual salary shall be $................and payment will be made directly to my bank account number………………..
I have and read and understood the conditions and regulations stipulated above. I, therefore agree to abide in them
(This should set a memorandum of understanding between the employee and the employer on the terms of employment)
Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures for the Company
The company gives all employees a right to;
- Air any relevant grievances that are related to their employment and will be handled by the responsible manger accordingly
- Appeal for any decision arrived at by the manager that does not tackle the issues mentioned in the grievance.
This procedure’s main purpose is to ensure that all grievances are solved within th shortest time possible and in the approved manner.
- The grievances shall first be discussed with the employee’s boss before handing them over to the human resource manager
- The HRM will make arrangements for the matter to be discussed within ten days upon receiving a written grievance. He will again assign an appropriate manager to investigate the matter.
- Upon the arrangement of the hearing the employee shall attend the meetings without fail and delay. The meeting can be re-scheduled if the employee cannot make it to attend the meeting. A five day notice prior to the meeting should made.
- A written response shall be issued within three working days
- A written appeal to the human resource manager by an unsatisfied employee is highly recommended. The HRM will arrange for further investigations and hearing and this time a final decision shall be arrived at within five working days. No more appealing.
- If an employee wishes to air its grievances after a job termination, arrangements can be done with the HRM to know the appropriate time to set up the hearing .
- Implementation of the procedure will be carried out at all times shall remain confidential
- If the grievances air need to take more time than it is stipulated above the employee shall be notified in advance
- This procedure acts as a management guideline and statement policy and not part of employment contract.
1. To ensure that all employees disciplinary matters and other factors affecting their employment are dealt with fairly and appropriately.
2. To ensure that appropriate measures are followed if displinary case arises
1. When the employee’s job performance is the subject issue, the matter will be handled according to the company’s performance procedure.
2. Until the matter is investigated fully the, no disciplinary action will taken to against the employee.
3. A written document will be issued notifying the employee when to face the disciplinary meeting.
4. The company has a right to suspend an employee to during the investigation period.
5. if the employee wishes to, he/she can be accompanied by a colleague of their own choice .this accompaniment may consult with the employee but should not give response to any question on behalf of the employee
6. Before the final decision is arrived at, the employee can produce any evidence. When the final disciplinary act is made an employee has a right to appeal with detailed evidence.
In case of minor mistakes, informal verbal warning or counseling will be applied. when the matter is a bit serious, the following stages will be conducted. The stages will do not necessarily have to be followed in order.
- Formal Verbal Warning
When minor fault, misconduct, or in cases where an employee fails to rectify a previous breach, a verbal warning shall be issued containing the possible consequences. A note shall be entered in the employee’s personal record with these details.
- First written warning
In case of a more serious misconduct, the first written warning will be given. the chit will contain the reason for the warning, the limit for improvement and consequences for failure to adhere. A duplicate of this will be kept in the employee’s personal records.
- Final written warning
A final written document will be issued to the employee if they did not adhere to the previous note given. In case of serious misconduct a final written warning may be given even without the need to give the first written warning. It will contain the reason, the limit of improvement and the consequences for failure to remedy the misconduct. A statement including the dismissal effect shall be included when the employee fails to improve.
Dismissal will be the final result if the conduct remains unsatisfactory .If the employee fails to reach the prescribed standards or fails to improve his/her breaches termination will be the ultimate decision. A written confirmation will be issued to the employees giving details encountering employment termination. (How grievances and disciplinary procedures work, 2009)
(This document will ensure that all disciplinary matters are handled diligently and satisfying manner)
Equality and Diversity Policy.
Our company acknowledges the fact that our society comprises of groups and individuals who are deprived of responsibilities just because of their race, sex, disability, gender, age, social class, belief, marital status or any other irrelevant matter to the aim of view. (Equality and diversity, 2009)
Our company will ensure that all persons are treated with respect and dignity despite their race, sex, marital status, beliefs or any other contributing factor. Promotion of equality and diversity of opportunity will be valued. For this to be effective all members of the company will be required to have commitment in preventing any type of social exclusion, discrimination and inequality.
1. Formation of strong and effective international partnership
2. Promoting equal opportunities and diversity in development, volunteering and employment
3. Make available services to our clients that are easily accessible in times of need.
1. Granting relevant and accessible services to users’ needs by working together with all members of the society
2. Valuing and recognizing individual contribution and differences that various persons make in the company.
3. Ensuring that positions and resources are fairly allocated
4. Avoiding discrimination at all cost
- Encouraging staff members volunteers ,management committee to get involved on the non-discriminatory in training programs and allocating time to attend such services provided by the company
- Making sure that all employees are treated fairly despite their personal differences
- Ensuring all members of staff comprehends and agrees with this policy plus each get a copy of the latter.
- Taking active steps to make certain that all members of the staff participate and make the implementation of this policy possible.
Supervision and assessment
The company will dedicate itself in the establishment, development, implementation and monitoring of this policy .Information gathering and record keeping will be effective measures that will taken to ensure full progress of the plan. An annual review will be made every year. (McPherson, page 30)
(This document will ensure that all employees are treated fairly without discrimination despite personal differences.)
Case Study I
The human resource manager should send a memorandum to the ‘employee’ asking her to write a statement stating in details her grievances. After which the HRM will allocate an appropriate manger to handle the case and set up a hearing for that matter. Subsequent to the hearing and a few more consultation, a final decision shall be arrived at. The woman can file an appeal if she is not satisfied with the decision .This is in accordance to the Grievance procedures of the company.
Case Study II
No. The company has not broken the Law any how. This is because every member has a right to air any problems affecting their employment according to the grievance procedures of the company. Again the company has an Equality and Diversity policy that ensures that no human being is treated unfairly no matter their personal differences. The Lady should have presented a written document to the line manager sating her grievances and the matter would have been tabled down to see the possible solutions.
Case Study III
According to terms agreed upon in the contract of employment, if an employee gets sick and stays home for more than three days a provision of a medical statement is required. If the document is produced the company is responsible, since it’s their duty to ensure that all employees are treated with respect and dignity even when they are sick.(Health and safety at work Act 1974, 2009)
Chander, H, (1993), Contract of employment and management prerogatives, Agra Ho Agra: Vijay Prakashan, page 20
Creating a diversity and equality policy retrieved from www.businesslink.gov.uk, on 4th January 2010
Equality and diversity retrieved from www.nhsemployers.org, on 4th January 2010
Health and safety at work Act 1974 retrieved from www.healthandsafety.co.uk, on 4th January 2010
How grievances and disciplinary procedures work retrieved from www.workingrights.co.uk, on 4th January 2010
McPherson, B (2007), Elephant in the room: An equality and diversity training manual, Dorset: Russell house publishing ltd, page 30
Robert, G, (2005), Recruitment and selection, London: chartered institute of personnel development, (page 140)
Standard contract of employment retrieved from www.chamberhr.co.uk , on 4th January 2010